Hello friends, today I am going to tell you what is Diesel and electric traction? – Their advantages and disadvantages: If you also want to know, then keep reading this article completely. so let’s start
1. Diesel-electric traction
In this, the diesel engine is connected to a DC generator. And the speed (r.m.p.) of the diesel engine is kept constant. In this way, the trains are run by the electric energy generated from the diesel generator or D.G. set.
Characteristics of Diesel Electric Traction
1. The initial cost is less as compared to the electric railway because it does not require power substations, distribution lines, and feeders, etc.
2. It has high acceleration and braking deceleration hence its scheduled speed is higher than the steam locomotive.
3. The exerted torque in this traction system is higher than that of a steam engine. Therefore, more coaches can be installed in it.
4. In this, the maintenance and repair time is less than that of a steam locomotive.
5. Vapor locomotive cannot be put into service immediately due to the time taken for evaporation but diesel-electric locomotive does not take this time to come into service as it does not have this problem.
6.Its efficiency is 25% which is higher than a steam locomotive.
7. There is no power loss during speed control.
Disadvantages of Diesel Electric Traction
1.Diesel engine has a short life span.
2. Limited overloading capacity.
3. Separate cooling system is required for cooling diesel engines and motor-generator sets.
4. The running cost and maintenance cost is very high.
5. Due to the motor-generator set and other accessories, the load of the engine increases, so more axles are needed to carry it.
6. The price of fuel (diesel) is high and due to rapid price change, the country’s economy is adversely affected.
2. Electric Drive Traction
In this, the electric motor drive is supplied to the overhead distribution system. In this, DC motor or single-phase AC series motor or 3 phase induction motors are used. By converting electrical energy into mechanical energy, the train is run by the available mechanical energy.
Advantages of Electric Drive
1. There is no need to store water and coal.
2. It does not contaminate the atmosphere
3.Electrical connecting system is neat and clean.
4. Its maintenance can be done easily.
5. High acceleration and retardation values can be obtained in this.
6. In these the value of initial torque is high.
7. Electrical insulation is better than another braking.
8. The electric train is operated for a short time.
Disadvantages of Electric Drive
1. Installation cost is high in electric traction, so more money is required for this in the beginning.
2. Rail traffic gets disrupted when the power flow is stopped.
3. Interference is created in the communication lines running along the power lines. To prevent this, either the telephone lines are removed or expensive cables are used.
4. In steam locomotives, the work of room heating is done cheaply during the winter, but additional equipment has to be installed in electric locomotives.
Now you must know what is diesel and electric traction? – their advantages and disadvantages, Characteristics of diesel-electric traction, Disadvantages of diesel-electric traction, Advantages of electric drive, Disadvantages of electric drive.